How long until your first sale on Etsy? How long until Etsy is paying your BILLS?
If you're feeling impatient, this article will help you be REALISTIC about success on Etsy.
I know, I know. We live in a world of instant gratification. And it feels friggin' GOOD when you change something and see immediate results!!
But here's the deal - you wouldn't enroll in college and expect to graduate three weeks later.
You're building a BUSINESS here.
This is not a small feat!
Remember: most Brick and Mortar businesses go into so much debt, that no matter how successful they are, they have to close within their first few years.
In fact, of all (B&M) small businesses started in 2011*:
- 4 percent made it to the second year
- 3 percent made it to the third year
- 9 percent made it to the fourth year
- 3 percent made it to the fifth year
*Source - Small Biz Trends
But YOU are not a Brick and Mortar business -- you are already WAY ahead of the game, because it doesn't cost much to start on Etsy.
And yes, some people experience success quickly. But those people are rare, and insanely committed.
Super successful people NEVER tell you the real truth:
- They work 14 hour days, 7 days a week. As a result, they often have no hobbies (or no time for hobbies, fight with their spouse because they don't spend enough time together, and sacrifice family time for work).
- They test EVERYTHING for themselves -- they don't just take someone's word for it. (This is massively time consuming).
- They do the extra credit. HARD. So all those times you thought, "this is good enough, I'm done" -- top performers PUSH past that until their stuff is literally the BEST available version of what they sell.
- They learn and try EVERYTHING. No matter how uncomfortable it makes them. If they have to reach out to magazine editors and millionaire bloggers, they WILL do it, even though there's a 99% chance they'll get rejected. (Over and over!)
- Top Performers WILL NOT STOP no matter how much shit they get, no matter how many times they fail. It's their stubbornness that often keeps them afloat, and eventually helps them far outpace their competition.
How do I know all these things?
I did them for my first 2.5 years in business. (I still do #'s 2-5 to this day -- but I gave up those 24/7 work hours!!)
And yes, my business took off quickly. I was pulling in 6 figures by the end of year two.
But do you know what ELSE I had?
- Gained 25lbs.
- No social life. No hobbies. Nothing that made me happy except work.
- Argued constantly with my partner because I chose the business over him.
- A schedule that demanded I work every single day of the week (all 7 of them).
- Constant, unending TERROR that I would lose everything. I slept like shit.
- I was basically a series of panic attacks, just waiting to happen.
Yes, my bank account was full. But what's the point if you can't DO anything with it?
And this is why I want to make it clear:
YOU don't have to torture yourself. You can have success AND happiness...it just takes a little longer.
You are setting up a SYSTEM that's mean to support you for YEARS to come.
And it's not gonna happen in ONE month. Not even if you sell your soul to Satan.
(lol, even Satan needs a minute! 😈)
In fact, it will build GRADUALLY. For some people, that happens from the beginning. For others, it can take a year or more. It all depends on how much work you're willing to pour into the business.
(Statistically speaking, if you make an effort and try lots of tactics, eventually something will create success). But the object here is to prevent you from having to try everything.
There are a handful of things I see in almost every shop, over and over...and these things will make your sales run dry almost immediately.
Take these things seriously. ⇣
When it comes to Etsy, Fix these problems ⇣ or STOP expecting results. Those are your options.
If there's any chance you're seeing one or more of these problems in your shop, you need to fix them before you can expect to make sales.
Here's the complete list, check your shop for these things:
Your shop doesn't have enough items.
Or you have like 10 of an item in your shop, and you're expecting it to sell. ("I just added a bunch of t-shirts to my shop! Why aren't they selling??" -- asks the seller with 5 shirts.) Math doesn't work like that.
Fix this problem here:
Your item is SEASONAL.
Are you selling knits? Or blankets? Or mugs, sweatshirts, home decor, etc? Guess what, your shop is SEASONAL. People only buy those things when the weather is cold. So if it's hot out, no one will search for or find your items.
Fix this problem by making sure your item sells YEAR ROUND. There's Etsy software that can help you fix this problem:
You're making what YOU want to make...Not what customers WANT!
You're good at underwater basket weaving, so that's what you do. But customers don't shop for wet baskets. If you want to make money, you have to give people something they WANT big time -- not something they feel lukewarm about. (When was the last time you jumped online and shopped for something you "sorta" wanted...? You have to be EXCITED about something to part with your money.)
Fix this here:
You're not taking your photos seriously.
This is the #1 reason you'll get no traffic at all. Your pictures need to be BETTER than the top sellers in your category. Why? If your items show up in search together (which they will!!) what would you click on? The beautifully photographed item that is exactly what you searched for, or the photo next to it that's half as good?
If you can't BEAT the best photo on the page, you need to TRY AGAIN:
You're not getting found in search AT ALL.
I can tell you now that literally everyone thinks this is THEM. But if you're getting favorites, and more than 300 VISITS per month, it's not you. Your problem is one of the other ones ⇡ up there. It's not this one.
Most of the people who fall into this category are calling their item something NO ONE will ever search for, like "Big Blue Whale Swimming in the Ocean" -- customers don't search for that! Don't try to be cute with your item names. Call it what they really want "Boho Beach Watercolor Wall Art".
You can fix this issue right here:
Wanna Watch Your Etsy Shop Take Off This Year?
Most online Etsy courses cost $297. And all you get is ONE course on ONE topic.
Kinda feels a little stupid, don’t ya think??
That’s why we offer access to a new Etsy mini course (or webinar!) every single month for ONE price. Oh -- and did we mention?? As a premium member, you can watch all our EXISTING courses in one place.
That’s 27+ PREMIUM Etsy courses just waiting for you to stream right now! Topics range from getting your Etsy SEO perfect... To revamping your schedule (so you can squeeze in 3x more sales)… To social media traffic you can put on repeat every month.
Oh, and did I mention?? Birch Please also comes with TWO live group events every month:
✅ You can show up for a LIVE Shop Critique with my head Etsy coach...
✅ You can also jump in to a LIVE Q+A Session with an Etsy coach 1x per month, too!
Or check out these Premium Member Course nuggets to see what you can dig into ⬇️ ⬇️ ⬇️
Or you can view all our premium content right here (it includes course videos, webinars, masterclasses, workshops, and premium podcast episodes).
If you’re ready to get a new Etsy course or webinar every single month, all you have to do is pick a plan HERE. 🎉